- Weekly: **Unemployment Initial Claims Data have been revised**
- US: Housing Starts by State and Region (Feb)
- CPB World Trade Monitor (Jan)
- CPB World Trade Monitor (Jan)
- France: Registered Unemployed & Job Vacancies (Feb)
- US: Household Employment for States and Regions (Feb)
- US: Wholesale Trade Revisions, Advance Durable Goods (Feb)
- Manufacturing Survey - Markit US (Flash - Mar), Composite Survey - US (Flash - Mar), Services Survey - US (Flash - Mar)
- more updates...
Economy in Brief
Correction to Unemployment Insurance Weekly Claims
The Department of Labor has issued a correction to yesterday's annual revision to seasonally adjusted weekly unemployment claims...
EMU PMIs Are Off to the Races...Farewell Mediocrity?
The PMI rankings for the manufacturing and service sector PMIs in the EMU are suddenly off the chart...
U.S. New Home Sales Improve While Prices Decline
Sales of new single-family homes increased 6.1% (12.8% y/y) during February to 592,000 units (AR)...
Kansas City Federal Reserve Factory Index Strengthens; Expectations Surge
The Kansas City Fed reported that its index of regional manufacturing sector business activity increased to 20 during March...
U.S. Initial Unemployment Insurance Claims Rise
Initial claims for unemployment insurance increased to 258,000 (-3.0% y/y) during the week ended March 18...
U.K. Retail Looks Less Bulletproof
For the most part, the assessments embodied in the March survey from the UK's CBI are being taken as being upbeat...
by Sandy Batten June 14, 2016
Total business inventories inched up 0.1% m/m (1.0% y/y) in April following a 0.3% m/m increase in March (revised down from 0.4% m/m). Total business sales jumped 0.9% m/m (-1.3% y/y) in April after a 0.2% m/m rise in March (revised from 0.3%). The April sales increase was the largest monthly gain since February 2014.
The new information in today's release was for retail inventories. Manufacturing and wholesale inventories had already been reported. Manufacturing inventories were down 0.1% in April (their tenth consecutive monthly decline) while wholesale inventories were up 0.6% m/m, their second consecutive monthly increase following five consecutive monthly declines.
Retail inventories unexpectedly slipped 0.1% m/m in April after having posted gains in each of the ten preceding months. Recent increases had been substantial-0.9% m/m in March and 0.7% m/m in February. In April, retail inventories excluding motor vehicles and parts fell 0.2% m/m with widespread declines across major categories. Furniture inventories fell 0.5% m/m. Building materials inventories were down 0.2% m/m. And inventories of general merchandise stores declined 0.5% m/m.
Sales were up across all sectors in April. Retail sales jumped 1.4% m/m (up 0.9% m/m when motor vehicles are excluded). Wholesale sales climbed 1.0% m/m in April, their second consecutive significant increase after four consecutive monthly declines. Manufacturing sales were up 0.5% m/m in April, their second consecutive monthly increase following three consecutive monthly declines.
The inventory-to-sales ratio in the business sector edged down to 1.40 in April from 1.41 in February and March. The February/March reading had been the highest since the economy exited recession in 2009. Inventory-to-sales ratios also retreated slightly in each of the individual sectors-again from levels that were the highest in the current economic expansion.
The manufacturing and trade data are in Haver's USECON database.
|Manufacturing & Trade||Apr||Mar||Feb||Apr Y/Y||2015||2014||2013|
|Business Inventories (% chg)||0.1||0.3||-0.1||1.0||1.3||3.7||3.9|
|Retail excl. Motor Vehicles||-0.2||0.1||0.2||2.8||4.1||2.6||4.8|
|Business Sales (% chg)|
|Retail excl. Motor Vehicles||0.9||0.5||-0.1||2.5||0.2||3.2||2.6|
|Retail excl. Motor Vehicles||1.28||1.29||1.30||1.27||1.27||1.24||1.23|